<$BlogRSDURL$>

2.11.2004

Number three: Chicago, IL 

Woke at 7:45 a.m. Lynn had been attempting to wake me for 30 minutes. Lynn is gentle about waking me even though she hates mornings. Once I am awake she lets the "hate morning" mode show through. I like mornings; once awake.
Commonly, I dream in vivid color. Last night I had such a dream. I don’t recall the details. That’s commonly the case. This morning, I didn’t shower. I was running late. I did make breakfast; egg, bagel, bacon and coffee. I left the house at 8:15 a.m. I was at the van by 8:30. Brad needed coffee so we stopped by the coffee shop with the morning girls who smile at all their customers. Afterward, Brad and I discussed the merits of greeting morning clients with a smile and sense of genuine happiness. At the warehouse, four day-labors were waiting.
They were the same four that have been with us since Friday. They are beginning to get a sense of how things work. Brad or I are always late because we are always getting coffee.
Each morning is the same routine:We stop at the coffee shop after meeting at the van.
One of us is always ten minutes late to the van and we are always twenty minutes late at the warehouse.

Such is our standard and as such I always know when one of the day labors owns a cellular phone. If a day-laborer has a phone they always call the staffing office one minute past the time I was to be there. Five minutes later a call comes into my cell asking where I am.

Regardless, they get paid. It’s not their fault I’m twenty minutes late.So, today was a late day. The four laborers were waiting but the man with the keys was no where to be found.
No Keys? We continued to wait. From there the day was bland and best ignored.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?